Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Musée à Trois – Wednesday, 12th May 2010






This morning on my run through the Louvre and Tuileries I decided to explore the perfectly trimmed hedges which fan out from the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel. I discovered that they are actually hollow through the base with well worn tracks running through the length of them. I thought it a place where possibly the homeless take refuge at night – but then to my surprise I began to notice empty condom wrappers littering the grounds nearby. So my lovely run through the hedges had some of the innocence removed by this somewhat unexpected discovery! The sculptures were lovely though!

Being my last full day in Paris I decided to tick off my final three museums. My first visit was to La Conciergerie. It was built as a royal palace in the 14th century for the concierge of the Palais de la Cite, but later lost favour with the kings of France and became a prison and torture chamber. A concierge is someone who manages policing and prisons and this building was named the Conciergerie after the Concierge of the establishment. Queen Marie-Antoinette was among the 2700 alleged enemies of the revolution held in the dungeons here before being sent to the guillotine during the ‘Reign of Terror’ from 1793-94. There is a reconstruction of Marie-Antoinette’s cell and Marie-Antoinette’s Chapel was built in 1815 on the exact spot where her prison cell stood. It is here as well that you can see the 14th century Sall des Gens d’Armes (Cavalrymen’s Hall) which is a good example of the Rayonnant Gothic Style and is the largest surviving medieval hall in Europe.

Following La Conciergerie I visited Musée de l’Orangerie which is located in the south-western corner of the Jardin des Tuileries and along with one other building is all that remains of the once palatial Palais des Tuileries where Napoleon III lived.

The Nymphéas (water lilies) have been at the Tuileries l’Orangerie Museum since 1927. They were a gift from Claude Monet (1840 – 1926) to the French state and hang in the two oval rooms as requested by Monet. The eight works were created between 1914 and the time of his death and are a culmination of an entire life’s work. They were inspired by his water garden at his home in Giverny, where he spent 30 years painting its ever changing scenes.

Also at l’Orangerie I viewed works by Matisse, Renoir, Cezanne, Picasso, Soutine, Modigliani and Derain. Most of the collection had been assembled by the renowned Parisian art dealer Paul Guillaume (1891 – 1934). His widow Domenica Walter added to the collection before she sold it to the French State in the 1960s. The Walter-Guillaume Collection is claimed to be a prestigious group of paintings without equal in any other Parisian museum and has only been on display to the public since 1984.

To complete my museum trifecta I visited the Louvre. And to complete my Louvre trifecta I visited the final of the third wings being the Richelieu Wing. Wow – I feel so inspired by my visit to this particular wing. I loved the 5th century right through to the 19th century French Sculptures. I then went up a floor where to my delight I discovered the ‘Renaissance’. Here, room after room, hung large wonderful tapestries. They are so beautiful and contain so much detail. Then I made my way to the much anticipated Napoleon III apartments! There’s only one word to describe them – WOW! They are probably the most spectacular apartments I have seen out of all the Palaces and Chateaus I have visited. They are absolutely stunning and overflowing with opulence. If you ever visit the Louvre they are a definite must see – just magnificent!

I had the most wonderful time in the Richelieu Wing as I wandered through with a huge permanent smile. I love the cheekiness and playfulness the artists paint and sculpt into their work. I felt so much joy being there and by being surrounded by such magnificence. Each corner I turned filled my soul with such wonder and delight.

It was such a wonderful way to end what has been my most wonderful and incredible month in Paris!

Au revior my lovely Paris!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jodes,

    I am so jealous. Got your post card on Friday. Everything looks like so much fun. I'll be wary of the hedges though!

    Take care and look forward to seeing you when you get home.

    Jay xx

    ReplyDelete