Monday, May 10, 2010

It’s Queue Crazy and Lovely Ladurée - Sunday, 9th May 2010






Ahhh, it’s a slow and relaxing day for me today after a divine nights sleep. After breakfast and a chat with Pete I left the apartment around noon. It’s a beautiful day outside and warm enough for me to wear a dress. I’ve decided to start my day with some lunch (or a pastry) at the Café at Musée Jacquemart-Andre. But when I arrive I discover that everyone else seems to have the same idea as me and there is the longest queue. Oh well, I’ll just head off to my next destination instead which is Parc Monceau. It’s such a pretty park with a lovely water feature. There are lots of people running. It must be some sort of race because there are so many of them and they all appear to be running in the same direction. The streets are quiet and most shops and cafés are closed. But on the roads it’s a different story. It’s gridlock out there!

In the park I make my way over to the small pond. A man and a woman are picnicking nearby. He lets out a huge burp. I couldn’t help but look up at him. He held up his hand in a sorry gesture and said ‘pardon’. The woman burst out with embarrassed laughter. I smiled to them and then quietly chuckled to myself because it was actually quite funny! Now near the pond, I watched some of the new ducklings swimming around and a turtle sunning itself. It’s so serene here.

I then took the train to Champs-Elysees for lunch at Ladurée instead! Thankfully I didn’t have to wait too long for a table. I had a butternut soup that was so amazingly creamy and flavoursome and a beautiful red wine. For dessert I had a rose flavoured macaroon with fresh berries. It was all so delicious and delightful and this place is heavenly.

I then jumped on the train to check out a club I’d love to go to which is under Pont Alexander III which also happens to be the most beautiful bridge in Paris. I then made my way to Rue Royale which is where the first Ladurée started in Paris. And of course bought a patisserie for dessert!

While I was walking along Rue Royale there was a massive Christian parade. They were carrying flags and a banner. There was a loudspeaker in a van in the middle of the procession. It was as if it were a moving church service. There were well dressed Parisians of all ages speaking prayers, singing hymns and chanting ‘France for Christians’. It was lovely to hear approximately 2000 people singing hymns out in the open. How great is Paris!

A quiet afternoon before heading down to the local café/bar for hot chocolate and red wine. It’s too crazy out in Paris today. It’s like everyone’s come out of the woodwork so to get into anything and everything you have to queue like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment