Thursday, April 22, 2010

Streets of Wonder and Volcanic Mayhem - Thursday, 15th April 2010




Today Asha and I started the day oblivious to what was unfolding across Europe. We got up and went for a walk. We walked over Pont Neuf (bridge) and around the Latin Quarter, whilst also enjoying a spot of shopping. Asha had to depart for a meeting with a friend so I just kept walking and discovering. As I walked I smiled, because I felt so happy to be back in Paris, and then I was stopped by a man and literally hit on! The French men, I am learning, are very unlike many Australian men in that they are not backward in being forward! He thought that I was beautiful simply because I was walking along smiling. How fabulous! (as I sit here in the cafĂ© writing this, a man walks by with sunglasses on which have a tiger print on the outside of the lenses. I love this place!! And it’s amazing just how many policemen and police cars there are. Four Police vans just drove by in a cavalcade! I feel quite safe with so many police around)

I then went to find my favourite dress and perfume shop where after trying on about ten dresses finally decided on the one I want! It’s quite exhausting work!! Then I just walked and walked around the magical streets of Paris. There’s just so much to see and learn and I love to explore. By the end of the day I am exhausted.

I also just learn that the entire UK airspace is closed which is unprecedented! Twelve hundred flights pass through Heathrow each day carrying more than 1800,000 passengers. I’m counting my lucky stars and somewhat in disbelief at the severity of the situation and how close we became being caught up in it! It’s just unfathomable that a volcanic eruption in Iceland could disrupt, close even so much European airspace. Perhaps it’s me! I say this because the last time I transited through Heathrow in 2007 some terrorists drove a car laden with explosives through the entrance to Heathrow Airport only hours after I’d boarded my flight and departed for Australia! Another serious event left in my wake!!! Asha and I revel in our fortune of actually arriving in France before the airspace closures and celebrate with a lovely meal and red wine in our local arrondissement. Wow – what a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment