Monday, April 26, 2010

Streets of Art and Streets of Sex and the Odd Bumble Bee! - Sunday, 18th April 2010


Sadly no run for me this morning. Each night since the plane flight my knee has woken me up by giving me grief! So unfortunately today is a rest day today from running for me.

Asha and I dressed and made our way to the Metro. On the way we walk along Quai De Gesvres which runs alongside the River Seine. There are many pet shops and Nurseries along the way. In front of the Nurseries, the street is lined with pot plants of bursting colour. They line the shopfront wall and the curb so that you must walk through them. The perfume from the flowers is soft and pretty.

Down in the Metro, the tunnels are long and wind in all manner of ways. Six gentlemen are busking and singing A’cappella. They sound amazing and their smooth voices carry through the tunnels. On the train, it smells like someone has left a fish under one of the seats – pee-yuh!! We get off the Metro at Chateau Rouge and make our way up toward Basilica Sacre Coeur and as it comes into view it is such a spectacular sight - Just beautiful! It’s also familiar to me. I’ve seen it many times before. We make our way up to my most favourite place in Paris, Artists Corner, which is also known as Place Du Tertre. It’s bustling and there are so many people here today. The weather is warm and spectacular. It’s a perfect day as we enjoy a baguette and a drink at a pretty patisserie.

After lunch we wander around the Artist’s square admiring the artwork on show for sale and then make our way back down to Sacre Coeur and take look around inside. It is quite busy with many visitors both inside and out, but still as magnificent as ever.

Then it was time to wander the streets of Montmartre, which was a lot of fun. The main street, Place de Clichy, is a blast. It is wall to wall sex shops and adult entertainment. Some are classy and some are seedy. None are discreet and some are quite explicit. All the flashy shop fronts were quite entertaining! I also wandered around the back residential streets with the pretty terrace houses.

Unfortunately being Sunday, many shops were not open or closed early so at 4.30 pm I caught the train back to Pont Neuf and then parked my derrière at the café around the corner from the apartment which looks over the River Seine and enjoyed some wine as I wrote in my journal and started some post cards!

This red wine is going down a treat, oh and again I was picked up today!! No holding back by the French men!! They are very charming but I politely decline their offer of a drink or meeting at some later time. I also neglected to mention that earlier today I enjoyed a Chocolate filled doughnut – yum!!

As I sit in the café a huge black bumble bee with a little yellow stripe on his abdomen flies into the café does a lap and then disappears again. How cute! (I am a big fan of bumblebees!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment